I have been asked so many times what is the best way to make a slime without borax that I finally decided to write an article about it.
The biggest problem with borax is that it is generally toxic. The US EPA has decided that borax is not toxic at levels used to make a slime, but it is still not a recommended substance. It is also unsafe for pets and people. This is because borax is a Sodium borate which is an ionic compound. When it is in water, it forms borate ions. It is also a very corrosive substance.
Over the past couple of years, I have made a ton of slime without borax and glue, but never made a blog post about it. I finally decided to write this blog post as borax is still the substance I find most toxic to use in slime.
Here’s how I made slime without borax:
I just used the following ingredients:
- 1/4 cup distilled water
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cornstarch is important. You want the slime to be thick.
- 1/2 cup corn syrup is important. You want the slime to stick.
- Mix the cornstarch, corn syrup, baking soda, salt and water together in a bowl or container.
- At this point, you can add food coloring if you want. I added some red color.
- Put the ingredients in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
- While the ingredients are in the freezer, mix the cornstarch into the corn syrup.
- Put the ingredients in a plastic container and refrigerate until they are thick.
- Once the ingredients are mixed, they will begin to gel.
- When they are thick, you can remove them from the refrigerator and knead them.
- Knead them until they are smooth.
- Once they are smooth, you can apply them to the walls of a plastic container.
- You can then decorate the slime by cutting out pictures. You can use stencils or cut out the shapes on cookie cutters.
Hope you like this kind of slime without borax and glue, enjoy and have fun playing with this slime.